Your favorite 4w/5w switch/spey [Archive] - Spey Pages

: Your favorite 4w/5w switch/spey

J.James
02-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Looking for comments and recommendations for 4w or 5w switch rods

lets hear some reviews!

Puffin
02-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Do a search for the Batson 11' 5-wt. switch rods; many members own and/or have built them. Nice rods, particularly for the price. Others will chime in re: Anderson, Meiser, Burkie, etc. I own the 15'6" 4/5/6 Meiser; incredible, but obviously not a switch. I have the Batson and like it, but will one day purchase Meiser's conversion rods simply because of the workmanship. I fish the Batson with a range of SH lines, all heavy enough to load the rod as necessary, with long leaders.

JBC
02-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I have and love the Deer Creek 4wt switch. With a 7wt 40+ and polyleaders it is effortless. After I fill in the rest of my quiver, I fully intend to go back and purchase the Meiser version of this same rod.

I also have and love the DC 5/6 spey rod with a CND GPS, but suspect it is heavier than what you are looking for. They make a 4/5 model of the same rod that I suspect would be fantastic with the 4/5 GPS.

tcspey
02-13-2011, 12:38 PM
I second the Batson 5wt great rod for the value. One of my all time favorite is the Sage Z axis 5 wt. One of a few actual "switch" rods on the market. I feel comfortable to both two hand this rod and single hand it. Most switches on the market are baby spey rods. not that I don't love fishing switchers. they are powerful tools given the right application. I think it is just the marketing and classification system that is a little suspect in my book. Any way I digress, those two rods are exelent and function well.

J.James
02-13-2011, 02:50 PM
great information all! Thanks :)

I have been enjoying the switch/spey technique so much I thought it would be great fun to have a trout rod for when the water runs high, wide, fast, and deep. Especially in those rainy summers or spring run off

The extra length concerns me a little bit for when you catch the smaller fish like under 10 inches. Just being able to feel the hit

I am enjoying the thread and exploring the above recommendations

I have a TFO DC 6w but it is a bit of a monster for trout under 20 inches. Love the rod though and I have a mad magazine of leaders from BM

I was considering a Helios Switch 5w but I just can't bring myself to drop $8 bills on a fly rod ( I'm not cheap, I'm frugal! )

thanks again for sharing your experience!

Puffin
02-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Something to keep in mind is that you don't need a two-hand rod to cast in a spey "style" (i.e. traditional Scottish or Scandinavian); this can be done with just about any single-hand rod (I do it on the tiny trout creek running through our back yard with a 6'9" 3/4/5).

J.James
02-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Something to keep in mind is that you don't need a two-hand rod to cast in a spey "style" (i.e. traditional Scottish or Scandinavian); this can be done with just about any single-hand rod (I do it on the tiny trout creek running through our back yard with a 6'9" 3/4/5).

very true!

thanks for reminding me! hah

I'm just having a lot of fun and my DC is too much stick for trout under 20 inches. I thought this might present some ideas or an excuse to have some fun. That and I wanted to see what others experience is as I am constantly learning here on SP

Puffin
02-13-2011, 03:37 PM
The Batson would be a good introductory rod to see if you like the two-handed approach with smaller trout. I built mine with that exact purpose in mind. I much prefer two-handed rods to single-hand, and it sounds like you're of a similar mindset. I think I have about $150 in total on mine. The rod is 10'8", btw, not 11' as I had initially stated.

J.James
02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
The Batson would be a good introductory rod to see if you like the two-handed approach with smaller trout. I built mine with that exact purpose in mind. I much prefer two-handed rods to single-hand, and it sounds like you're of a similar mindset. I think I have about $150 in total on mine. The rod is 10'8", btw, not 11' as I had initially stated.

I am certainly considering that Puffin and thank you for the recommendation. Excellent price point, wow!

I am also considering the Beulah Spey 5w which is 11'7

I use a 9'6 SH so moving up 2 feet might be better or worse I'm not sure for a 5w small trout, although 10'8 would be a great nymph/streamer :D

what are your thoughts? Of course $150 can't beat that! The best price on the Beulah I can find is $495

DutchDryfly
02-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I have the ACR 11'9" #3 and love it for bigger water.
But with a grainwindow between 250 and 325 it is not for the small trout.
The rod will bent nicely, but the big belly will drag the fish through the current.
So for small rivers and smaller trout, I just bought the Zpey Z1 switch 10' #4.
It is a real singlehand #4.
When troutseason opens, I will put it to use.

speyman
02-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Love my ACR 11.9 #3
It also comes in #4 or #5 with equally sweet action

J.James
02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
ACR really are nice rods

could any of you share some pics of yours?

thanks all for making this a great thread

DutchDryfly
02-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Better yet, check out Gary's site

http://www.andersoncustomrods.com/

J.James
02-13-2011, 04:33 PM
I did!

great stuff

11'9 vs Beulah's 11'7 although ACR work is spectacular

what does the added delux/wood accents on the rod run?

I don't like to spend over $500 usually and those trout speys start at $650 although the switch starts at $550 I think

I still want one though :)

you can drop $100 if you go the no thrills route too so that is a consideration

may I ask what you're using for reels on trout spey rods?

thanks!!!

Puffin
02-13-2011, 04:38 PM
may I ask what you're using for reels on trout spey rods?

In my case, an older Lamson Velocity 2.

speyman
02-13-2011, 04:40 PM
I use a Perfect narrow 3 3/4", a marriage made in heaven
Also a Farlow sometimes

Fishing with an ACR rod is worth the $$. Besides the great action the quality and karma in the rod just makes your day better

Puffin
02-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Fishing with an ACR rod is worth the $$. Besides the great action the quality and karma in the rod just makes your day better

If it's anything like fishing with my Meiser, I can believe it. Without question, the karma is a huge thing in confidence. I did a great build on my Batson, but honestly don't fish it all that often; instead, I tend to use a 10' 5-wt. T&T I built years ago (as a two-hand light spey); sweet rod, with great karma.

FKrow
02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
One more vote for the TFO Deer Creek 11ft 4wt. I like mine with the AirFlo 40+ in WF5F at 245 grains. Nice light rod and line for smaller fish.

Regards,
FK

Brookie
02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Hardy Zenith makes a sweet switch rod reel for light line weights, if you can find one. Come up on that auction site from time to time, but they are going for higher and higher prices. Maybe the recession is over :chuckle:

Brookie
02-13-2011, 09:23 PM
I also meant to mention that you can't go wrong with one of Gary's rods. Last summer he built a 1255 for me and that is one sweet stick!! I'd post a pic but I don't think I have a digital one yet. I fish it with a Hardy Bougle 3 3/4".

The Zenith I mentioned above I use on a DC 11 ft 4wt.

salmo
02-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I have fished extensively Alaskan Rainbows over 5 years with Meiser 12'6" 4/5/6 Higlander, great rod !!!!!!!.

When Kerry Burkhaimer sent me finally 11'5" 4/5/6 ( 330-360 gr for 29-30' Sandi line), I did sell the Highlander as it wold be shame to keep him in the closet.

For me Burkie 5115-4 is the best rod in the class, PERIOD !!!!!!, incredable versatility and awesome feel:):), as it is expected form Kerry.

LooseMoney
02-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Seems like anytime there's a decho 11'9 4wt on the classifieds it goes very quickly. I've always wanted to try that rod. I use a Batson 10'8 6wt with a 340 short skagit. Really love it and not afraid to abuse it because of the price.

Pokerfish
02-13-2011, 11:26 PM
I posted this previously on another thread:

I am using my spey stuff primarily on the Bow River in Calgary - big browns and bows. I was using a Deer Creek 5/6 12.5 ft with a 420 gr compact skagit and a 12 ft #8 poly leader and loved it for the streamers and swinging nymphs. I also used it for indicator nymphing without the poly leader.

I found that the mends with the indi were very sloppy.

I just bought the Amundson 3/4 ( 11'6, Wind Warrior)vand lined it with an Airflow 300gr compact scandi. I love it.

I demo'd the Decho but found it too stiff for my liking. I am not looking to get rid of the Deer Creek, but the amundsen will be my go to indi rod for sure.

I would get a Meiser if money wasnt part of the considerations - but the Amundson was under $250

My 2 cents

Try em before you buy em!

Heli-fish
02-14-2011, 01:13 AM
Deer Creek 11' 4wt with a J.W. Young 1530 lined with a SGS scandi line custom made for this rod is alot of fun.

DutchDryfly
02-14-2011, 06:10 AM
I use a Danielsson FW4seven on my ACR.

ReidFamilyFive
02-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Hardy Marquis 10 on a Meiser Higlander Classic 12'6" 3/4/5. Dave

flywaterguides
02-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Zaxis 5 wt 11' and 5126, Burkie 5wt 11'5" , he has a 4wt coming out which would be cool. I am trying to get an Anderson 11'7" 3wt next

sickb4st4rd
02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Deer Creek 11' 4wt with a J.W. Young 1530 lined with a SGS scandi line custom made for this rod is alot of fun.

Hey Heli-fish,

Curious if you know the exact grain weight and head length you ended up with on this SGS scandi line for the DC4wt? Let me guess, 27feet, 295gr?

Thanks!

ralfish
02-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Hard to find outside of BC but IMHO worth while: Amundson

11'-3/4 weight spey. Scandi heads (AFS) from 200-300 grains for fish to 18-20''. Use sustained anchor type casts for the upper grain window.

11' -6 weight spey. Scandi heads (AFS) from 300-400 grains for fish to 5-7 lbs though it will handle larger.
This rod is more versitile than the 1134 as it still keeps fish of 14-18'' lots of fun but still enough back bone to handle larger fish and will toss heavier tips to around 80 grains of Type 8. The 1134 is simply a joy on small sub 20'' fish. Both rods come in at just over 6 oz in weight.

Speysnaggedme
02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Don't forget the Echo 10'8" SR 5 wt. Get hold of a shop where you can demo some side by side and see which one YOU like best. There are so many great rods out there at all price points.

paflyboy
02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
As mentioned above, the Decho 11'9" 4wt would be another excellent choice. I have one, and love it, lined with an Airflo 40+ 6wt and 10 foot trout Polyleaders. I find it to be a deep flexing rod perfect for trout and stream smallies. I bet you wouldnt have to look too far to find a shop that would let you "test drive" one(think: Red Shed!). Good luck and tight lines!

J.James
02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
a lot of great information everyone. Very hard decision. I love the aesthetics of the ACR but I don't think I could pass up the chance to own a Meiser. I have a DC 6w and it is a nice rod so the 4w is very appealing as well

no idea what to do! But I'm loving this thread

:)

J.James
02-14-2011, 09:40 PM
As mentioned above, the Decho 11'9" 4wt would be another excellent choice. I have one, and love it, lined with an Airflo 40+ 6wt and 10 foot trout Polyleaders. I find it to be a deep flexing rod perfect for trout and stream smallies. I bet you wouldnt have to look too far to find a shop that would let you "test drive" one(think: Red Shed!). Good luck and tight lines!

sounds great! I really like deep flexing rods for trout

can you tell me more about the trout leaders? I have a large full magazine from BM for my DC 6w of 10ft poly leaders but not sure if they would work with a lighter line

J.James
02-15-2011, 10:20 AM
does anyone have a recommendation on a rod that is more of a progressive taper or deeper flex aside from the Amundson?

Right now I'm torn between a Meiser, Beulah, or Helios but they could be stiffer than I want. I love ACR rods but he uses mainly Sage blanks as I understand it and for the money I'd rather spring for my first Meiser. I'm usually opposed to dropping that kind of coin on a rod but I am considering it, clearly a loss of senses having spent to much time on the spey clave :)

I don't want to yank smaller trout through the water and I'd like a rod that is at least 11ft since I use a 9'6 SH. Meiser's 3,4,5 appeals to me here as it has lower grain windows which I think will be easier on the fish and a true spey at 12'6 which would be nice since I'm a novice caster. The Beulah is 11'7 and a 5w which is nice but even if I run into a 5-10lb fish the extra length of 11ft + will handle it fine I imagine. Accompanied by some finesse by the handler of course :)

The Helios is appealing merely because it is so light, gets excellent reviews, and I'm an Orvis fan since they are very local and terrific at customer service. Of course Bob Meiser is one helluva a nice guy and I would lament not buying one of his rods when I had the chance. I'm just not sure I deserve it yet as I haven't put the time in ;)

What I don't want to do is yank hooks through the smaller fish when they take the fly. I had a 9inch bow pull the hook right through it's eye last year which was a bummer

any ideas? thanks again everyone for the feedback and experience!

Puffin
02-15-2011, 10:35 AM
One thing you ought to give serious consideration to is contacting Bob Meiser and asking him to demo a rod for your specific intentions; it will make your decision easier if you can test a rod with a line of his recommendation. I don't know if Beulah or Orvis does this sort of thing, but you might ask them; if not, a local dealer may be able to help you. Also, consider calling Poppy at the Red Shed and asking him to demo something. Also, since you're in the Northeast, you may be close enough to T&T to visit them (or call Trevor) and demo something. Their rods are also excellent and are built one at a time in their small facility in Mass.

Rod selection really comes down to a matter of what feels good to you. Aesthetics alone count for a lot, but they don't improve performance. Does 4" make a ton of difference in rod length? Not to me. You're not going to be firing off 100'+ casts, either, in most cases, but are far more likely to be actually fishing a distance of 60' or less if you're covering your own bank and are fishing mid-sized and smaller water; it is for this reason that I don't think slight variations in length will matter much (if at all).

ReidFamilyFive
02-15-2011, 10:38 AM
There a lot of nice sticks out there. I used to own the Decho 11'9" 4 wt. And it was nice but I now have the Meiser 12'6" 3/4/5 and it is a really sweet rod. I have caught smallish trout in the 8 - 12" range and it was still a blast. The Decho is a lot stronger rod and doesn't have the "play" with the smaller fish that you get with the Meiser. I am glad I switched. The Meiser is really nice ..... Do yourself a favour and call Bob and take one for a test drive. Dave

Brookie
02-15-2011, 10:52 AM
The majority of rods built by Gary Anderson that you see recently discussed on Spey Clave are built on his own proprietary blanks (so don't think of Gary as just a fancy Sage). So, like Bob M., you should give Gary a call too. Both great guys, you'll probably have a hard time deciding which to go with, and you really can't go wrong with either. Best bet is to narrow it down to a couple of rods and then see if you can arrange to cast each of them.

Puffin
02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
The majority of rods built by Gary Anderson that you see recently discussed on Spey Clave are built on his own proprietary blanks (so don't think of Gary as just a fancy Sage). So, like Bob M., you should give Gary a call too. Both great guys, you'll probably have a hard time deciding which to go with, and you really can't go wrong with either. Best bet is to narrow it down to a couple of rods and then see if you can arrange to cast each of them.

Yes, I was going to mention contacting Anderson, as well, for a demo. Even if all of the rods were built on Sage blanks, they would still be great.

One last thought from me (and this is meant in a semi-joking, though also semi-serious, sentiment, and many members on the forum will likely agree with this): you will wind up owning many rods, a number of which will likely be redundant for given fishing conditions; don't kid yourself! :) This said, it's easier to get a handle on the whole thing: go for one of each. :Eyecrazy:

mkinney
02-15-2011, 11:33 AM
It is interesting that only one mention was made of the Deer Creek 12.5 4/5 I think it out does the 11' 4wt and the 12.5 5/6 and is probably the fullest flex out there. All the rods mentioned are great rods in my mind. MK

J.James
02-15-2011, 11:47 AM
I couldn't agree more with your sentiments gentlemen and thanks entirely to this thread I have watched my focus narrow and progress to what is really appropriate for my waters

I am leaning to the Meiser 10'6 or the ACR 11'9 though I think with my waters the 10'6 is better suited even during high water. I will speak to Bob and make sure he feels it is appropriate for me and for lobbing streamers and heavy nymphs since I do run into some Atlantic Salmon from time to time - I'm sure it will be just fine though

So much for my futile attempts at keeping my FF within reasonable budgets! You guys were no help in that department! hah

As for reels I'm leaning to the Galvan Torque 8 or 10? I really like Leland's classic looking Diesel spey reel but that won't be coming out for another 5-7 months or so. Any other traditional designed reels in the under $500 range I should look at?

again, thank you all, I have no doubt that this rod will become a family heirloom and be shared among many friends and family over the following years

J.James
02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
It is interesting that only one mention was made of the Deer Creek 12.5 4/5 I think it out does the 11' 4wt and the 12.5 5/6 and is probably the fullest flex out there. All the rods mentioned are great rods in my mind. MK

Mike ~

your reputation on this forum and the only other fly forum I peruse is outstanding as both a caster and the generosity with which you're known in person. I am sure I am one of many who has watched your youtube videos repeatedly trying to gain any advantage to the skill and ease with which you perform spey casting. A local shop carries that very rod and I will be sure to give it a thorough inspection as the guide there is helping me finesse my technique.

Good to see you on the clave and thanks for posting

paflyboy
02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
sounds great! I really like deep flexing rods for trout

can you tell me more about the trout leaders? I have a large full magazine from BM for my DC 6w of 10ft poly leaders but not sure if they would work with a lighter line

The trout polyleaders are just a lighter version of the steelhead polyleaders, 12lb core versus 24lb core. I think they are better suited to presenting "trout size" offerings. If you can wait until, and attend, the Salmon River Speynation event in June you would be able to try out some different rods "back to back.". You would also be more than welcome to try fishing with my Decho 4wt. In any event, there are lots of great rod choices out there(if cost isn't a factor I'd vote for a Meiser!) and, as was stated above, you'll probably end up with multiple rods. This is a great sport, prepare to be assimilated. Enjoy!

Brookie
02-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Mike K. - I would be curious to know what is your preferred line (scandi and skagit) for the Deer Creek 12.5 4/5 ?

SkagitMiester
02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Check out SPG. He recently posted some great info like this and more if you search his recent posts...

I do a lot graphite engineering and custom line design work for Meiser and Anderson. I know the Beulah products well. Most of the other brands come thru my shop at one time or another, so I have a pretty good sense at what is available in true trout spey. I produce scandi heads for Bob and Gary, Gary calls it "The Steel Head", Bob calls it the "SGS". The first 2 production runs with RIO, we made a #4 thru #9 sandi head. The full length #4 is 31 ft and 290 grains which is ideal for Gary's 1214 and Bob's 1264S. Nine months ago I designed a new #3 at 29.5 ft and 240 grains. Having this head in hand, Gary and I began to develope a true 3 spey rod for this line in late summer. I recieved the first production run 3 days ago from Gary to measure and it is awesome. The roll up matched our prototype perfectly. It is 11'7" and a spot on 3 wt and throws our #3 scandi. This will be another "game changer" rod for Gary, should be available in March for trout season. A high stick nymph single hand #5 at 11'5" may evolve out of this blank taper.

Gary has allways sold blanks, but has never advertized it. Bob sells blanks and Ready To Wrap kits as well. Both are fine people to deal with. steve

J.James
02-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Check out SPG. He recently posted some great info like this and more if you search his recent posts...

I do a lot graphite engineering and custom line design work for Meiser and Anderson. I know the Beulah products well. Most of the other brands come thru my shop at one time or another, so I have a pretty good sense at what is available in true trout spey. I produce scandi heads for Bob and Gary, Gary calls it "The Steel Head", Bob calls it the "SGS". The first 2 production runs with RIO, we made a #4 thru #9 sandi head. The full length #4 is 31 ft and 290 grains which is ideal for Gary's 1214 and Bob's 1264S. Nine months ago I designed a new #3 at 29.5 ft and 240 grains. Having this head in hand, Gary and I began to develope a true 3 spey rod for this line in late summer. I recieved the first production run 3 days ago from Gary to measure and it is awesome. The roll up matched our prototype perfectly. It is 11'7" and a spot on 3 wt and throws our #3 scandi. This will be another "game changer" rod for Gary, should be available in March for trout season. A high stick nymph single hand #5 at 11'5" may evolve out of this blank taper.

Gary has allways sold blanks, but has never advertized it. Bob sells blanks and Ready To Wrap kits as well. Both are fine people to deal with. steve

sounds wonderful!

what is it like spey casting with a line that light? what are the considerations to take into account? Are there distance limits? Should I be able to throw a size 6 or 8 streamer/nypmh in windy conditions with confidence? It is fantastic to have such willing participants share their knowledge and experience here, I am learning so much!

I am certainly not opposed to redundancy when it comes to owning spey rods :)

thanks again for a great thread

SkagitMiester
02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
sounds wonderful!

what is it like spey casting with a line that light? what are the considerations to take into account? Are there distance limits? Should I be able to throw a size 6 or 8 streamer/nypmh in windy conditions with confidence? It is fantastic to have such willing participants share their knowledge and experience here, I am learning so much!

I am certainly not opposed to redundancy when it comes to owning spey rods :)

thanks again for a great thread-

I emailed Gary about the rod- sounds like they will be available in a few weeks and he said like all his rods it has a crisp action-

Not sure what this rod will hand in terms of distance, tips etc, but it matches up with his SPG custom Scandi at around 260 grns for most guys.

pogo
02-20-2011, 03:20 AM
Another vote for the batson 10,8 5 wt. took mine to New Zealand,( I live in Aus) and had a great time with it

Keep in mind, the batson switch rods are rated for single handed lines not spey lines, so the rod is like a 3 wt spey ( kind of)

I use a wulff 5 wt Ambush on it on a Hardy Marquis Multiplier.

I made mine up from a blank kit, came out very well and set me back less than $150

Regards Pogo

ozswitch
02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
how did you go in nz pogo? North or south island? Did you swing down and across with wets etc or nymph fish under indi?
I had my echo 4wt with me on my recent trip a few weeks back, on the south island it felt a little big (overgunned) on most of the rivers i fished, a familiarity problem for me, skating dries there doesnt seem to be liked by the fish, tried to approach a few good fish from upstream and they bolted at 100ft away, so i guess the common story that nz trout are reeeeally spooky sometimes is true, so i stuck with upstream dry fly which im not to fussed on using my switch rod for, seems alot more simple (strangely enough) with a 9 or 10ft 5wt single hand rod, maybe one of these batsons could be nice for that sorta work, or perhaps one of the zpey switch rods! Mega nice rods!

pogo
02-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Gday OZ,

Had a great time in NZ, the 5 wt batson switch got a lot of work, swinging wee wets and indi fishing, Missed the big runs of fresh fish so didnt use the 6 wt 12'6 spey much but still had some fun with it.

the 5wt switch was a great rod for casting the heavy nymphs the kiwis use to get down in the fast water and the big indicators they use and had a few evenings swinging little wet flies through the braided water on the tongariro below the highway bridge.

Taking the rod down to the Swampy Plains river below Khancoban Pondage, in early April and might take the spey down too to fish the tailrace.
Basic plan is to drift the river in a big canoe and stop and fish the riffles and races.

If you check my post history, I put up a report on the NZ trip.

regards Pogo

SpeySpaz
02-21-2011, 11:36 PM
I have a 4/5 Beulah switch, and it's a fun little rod.
I also have a custom Meiser 12'6" 3/4/5 Highlander classic, and a sweeter rod would be hard to find. A 5/6/7 Cascapedia balances it super nice. I've caught 10-11# steelhead on that rod, yet a 10" trout gets to show off a little.

J.James
02-22-2011, 08:51 AM
that settles it!

favorite trout rods:

Meiser 3,4,5 12'6
Meiser 4,5 11'7
Meiser 4,5 10'8

TFO DC 4,5 12'6
TFO DC 4, 11'

Batson 5, 10'8

Helios 5, 11

ACR 3,4,5 11'7

did I miss any :D

as much as I like Beulah rods, and I do, for the money you can have one of Meiser's RTW rods or a TFO DC and some goodies. Not to mention their blanks are pricey and limited in availability but that doesn't stop me from checking the classifieds everyday as I'd take a pampered 2nd hand one in a second

thanks everyone for all your input

krumpkoolidge
02-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Echo 4 wt @ 11'-9"

J.James
02-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Echo 4 wt @ 11'-9"

good call! my mistake

PGK
02-22-2011, 01:16 PM
No love for the 10'6'' #4 echo switch?

J.James
02-22-2011, 02:15 PM
I totally overlooked Echo, not sure how but my apologies!

Echo Switch rods:

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_sr.php

TR Spey ( including 5w )

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_tr.php

DC Echo Spey ( including 4w )

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_dh.php

drbfish
02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
I got the Amundson 3/4 a few weeks ago. I cast it a few times at the Westmoreland Casting Pond in Portland, but yesterday was the first time I got it out fishing. This is a NICE rod. Well worth the $, in fact I would say it is underpriced (or everyone else is overcharging us for rods).

Aesthetically, the rod is great. That doesn’t matter much to me, but it is worth mentioning. The tube looks cool, the real seat is cool, and the cork is good for the price point. For the price it is finished unbelievably well.

The rod casts great. It is exactly what I hoped it would be. It is too small to safely target steelhead and, I imagine, a 20”+ trout. It is perfect for 12-18” Deschutes fish. I think it will be perfect for swinging caddis on the D, March Brown on the Mac, and any big river nymphing. The rod is a pleasure to cast and light as a feather. I would call it full flex with a med-fast recovery. I used a 270 grain 33’ line. The rod tracks very well and has just the right mix of flex and zip.

J.James
02-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I got the Amundson 3/4 a few weeks ago. I cast it a few times at the Westmoreland Casting Pond in Portland, but yesterday was the first time I got it out fishing. This is a NICE rod. Well worth the $, in fact I would say it is underpriced (or everyone else is overcharging us for rods).

Aesthetically, the rod is great. That doesn’t matter much to me, but it is worth mentioning. The tube looks cool, the real seat is cool, and the cork is good for the price point. For the price it is finished unbelievably well.

The rod casts great. It is exactly what I hoped it would be. It is too small to safely target steelhead and, I imagine, a 20”+ trout. It is perfect for 12-18” Deschutes fish. I think it will be perfect for swinging caddis on the D, March Brown on the Mac, and any big river nymphing. The rod is a pleasure to cast and light as a feather. I would call it full flex with a med-fast recovery. I used a 270 grain 33’ line. The rod tracks very well and has just the right mix of flex and zip.

excellent review

would love to see some pictures of your set up

http://amundson.ca/flyfishing/windwarrior/windwarrior_spey.html

are these tough to get in the US?

PGK
02-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Wondering if anyone has some hands on experience with the Echo switches, specifically the #4. I'm needing a light switch for swinging dries n softhackles n such for grayling this coming summer and what I'm hearing is good, but the information is limited.

ReidFamilyFive
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
The Decho 11'9" 4 wt. is a nice stick for the money. I've also fished the TR 5 wt. and it is way too stiff for trout. It's a steelhead stick all the way. If your willing to go with a switch length .......... the Beulah 10'6" 3/4 weight is also a very nice stick that will make trout in the 8"-12" a kick. Good luck in your search. Dave

PGK
02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
You mean the beulah 10'6'' 4/5? Or is there a 3/4 version I'm not aware of?

ReidFamilyFive
02-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes ............ the 4/5 version. It was a typo. My buddy has this rod and it's a nice stick for swinging soft hackles as well as using it for a High Stick nymphing rod. Dave

notellem creek
02-22-2011, 06:46 PM
I was just down at my local fly shop and was messing around with the 4-5 wieght switch rods.

Echo sr 4 felt a bit heavier then I was expecting. But it would still make a wonderful trout rod and felt like it would be able to handle small stealhead as well.

For the money the echo rods are hard to beat I have had a few different ones and enjoyed their spey/switch lineup

The rod I really liked though was the Beulah Plat 5wt 10' switch rod. Very light in the hand and will blanace with a smaller reel it is a pleasure to cast.
I think I might need to get this rod!

Spey dog
02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I had the Decho 4wt rod for some time and kick steelheads butt and is a fun rod but I sold it as was leaning a longer spey rod. It did everything well.

J.James
02-22-2011, 07:34 PM
what's the TR 5w?

loving this thread!!!!

Wild Bill
02-22-2011, 07:54 PM
I had the Decho 4wt rod for some time and kick steelheads butt and is a fun rod but I sold it as was leaning a longer spey rod. It did everything well.

....yup picked up the Decho 4119-4 off of Spey dog excellent little spey.I use it for Summer smallies from 1lb. right up to 4lb+ and late Summer early Fall smaller steelies....once the Fall starts to progress and the river runs higher and faster and the bigger fish start coming up I start moving up through my bigger rods,condition dependant...but both my little Decho's 4119-4 and 5122-4 are awesome casting rods....here's the littlest Decho with the Hardy Salmo #1 and WF7 +40 line strung on and a little steelie, late Summer run I believe.

Cheers,Wild Bill.:smokin:

notellem creek
02-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Yep the DH 5122 is a sweet summer stick I just traded mine off for a SR for some tight Oregon coast rivers. Got some good use out of the 5122 though and was able to bring a few steelies to hand with that stick

gammarus
02-22-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm a Meiser fanatic myself. Love my 11' 5/6 and my wife's 11' 4/5 even more. We had them both converted in to Troutmaster conversion rods last spring. Bob is making me an 11' 2/3/4 as we speak. I can't wait to get it in my hands.

J.James
02-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm a Meiser fanatic myself. Love my 11' 5/6 and my wife's 11' 4/5 even more. We had them both converted in to Troutmaster conversion rods last spring. Bob is making me an 11' 2/3/4 as we speak. I can't wait to get it in my hands.

couldn't agree more. I am looking forward to my first rod by Robert more than any other rod. I even question whether to buy any more rods because I know once I have one or two Meiser rods I won't fish anything else

I've never spent more time looking at a website in a language I can't read as I've spent admiring Meiser customs on Tokushi Yun site Slow Fishing. Just absolutely beautiful photography. Very cinematic pictures that accentuate the quality of the rods and unforgettable fishing

I am going to spend some time with the DC 12'6 after Mike's remarks earlier. I really like my DC Switch 6w but it's a little much for smaller fish. Gorgeous rod blank. Speaking of blanks, I was considering some of the Platinum series blanks Beulah makes. Their finished rods are too pricey, for that money you could have one of Meiser's RTW which btw I love that he allows the RTWs ~ awesome to have the opportunity to be part of the process but have the hard stuff done for us amateurs. Very sensible and a great marketing choice in my view

PGK
02-23-2011, 11:48 AM
When's the drop date for that rod, Dave? Price estimate? I assume we'll see it on 2HT once you get it?

ALawrence
03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Does anyone have experience with using the TFO Professional Series 11’ 5-weight switch rod for medium and large size trout? Is it over kill? How does it do with throwing sink tips?

Regards,

Andrew

drbfish
03-02-2011, 06:02 PM
i use the 11 pro 5 wt on the Deschutes. It is great for the heavy nymph days, and for windy days, with 14-18" trout. A bit big for smaller fish (but not too bad). It is also OK for the small hathchery steelhead.

CDone
03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
My Beulah 4/5 was my go to rod for a lot of last year, nymphing, streamers, big foam stones on top, even a few small dries, great all purpose rod.

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/Rods/IMG_5623.jpg

Colin

jlajoie
03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
My Beulah 4/5 was my go to rod for a lot of last year, nymphing, streamers, big foam stones on top, even a few small dries, great all purpose rod.

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/Rods/IMG_5623.jpg

Colin

+1 on that! Love my Beulah 4/5.

lethfisher
03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Another vote for the Decho 4119. Love it!! I am using it for trout though, no steelhead for me :( I've got a 270 compact scandi or a 325 skagit short on it. I will definitely consider another Decho in a larger weight when I do get into steelhead though.

beau purvis
03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I fooled around with his 5 and thought it to be very nice!

speycurious
03-03-2011, 01:19 AM
I fish the Echo 4 wt SR for trout, and have it paired with an Airflow 6 wt 40+ and a variety of leaders. I use everything from long mono leaders and small dries, to the heavy sinking polyleaders and tubes. I swing small wets and nymph, usually casting it overhead until the I've got some line out, then switching to spey style casts once the load feels right.

I use an 8/9 wt reel loaded w/ lots of backing for fast line pickup, and like a littler more weight in my reels for spey style casts.

This setup still feels lively when 10" trout are sipping dries, but remains capable when i'm swinging mini-tubes with bead chain eyes and sinking polyleaders. I can't believe how versatile it feels with a small wallet of leaders, and this setup covers a lot of ground for me in the summer months. As the water gets colder, the fish slow down, and the temperatures drop, I like to move up in rod and line size.

The photo below shows a fish that was strong and lively for the rod, but didn't make me feel ''outgunned'. I've also had 10" fish turn sideways in a good current on a deep swing and make the reel sing. These rods are so much fun b/c they do so so much, and let you feel what can't always be a trophy.

Hope this helps you make your decision, although like everyone else, I believe you really won't know until you cast them.

ALawrence
03-03-2011, 12:44 PM
i use the 11 pro 5 wt on the Deschutes. It is great for the heavy nymph days, and for windy days, with 14-18" trout. A bit big for smaller fish (but not too bad). It is also OK for the small hathchery steelhead.

Thanks! I am kind of curious as to what line you use with it?

Regards,

Andrew

chadchaumont
03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Looking for comments and recommendations for 4w or 5w switch rods

lets hear some reviews!

I have the CND Tracker 1225TS 5/6 and it cast and fishes great. I do consider this more of a spey then a switch. I cast the Airflo Scandi in 300 most of the time and the feel is fantastic. The CND GPS 5/6F and the Airflo Skagit Compact (modded) also cast well.

This rod has a really light feel and action as you can really feel the line through the swing. I would say that it has a slow feel but with some backbone. An easy rod that you can cast all day,

PGK
03-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Gonna bump this up instead of starting anew. Anyone ever fished these? What with cabelas starting to turn out some pretty nice fly products, be interesting to see how it stacks up.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Fishing-Rods/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105573780/Cabelas-LSi-Spey-and-Switch-Rods/1169518.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffish ing-fly-fishing-fly-fishing-rods%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1102568+1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%3BBRprd1089200&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1089200%3Bcat105573780

ibboone
04-14-2011, 05:46 PM
I love my rainshadow 10'8" 8 wt so much I might look into buying me the 5 wt kit and building one up.

Dan

flywaterguides
04-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Those C sticks look pretty good.

gammarus
04-16-2011, 01:41 PM
When's the drop date for that rod, Dave? Price estimate? I assume we'll see it on 2HT once you get it?

I missed the postman after work yesterday. There's a package for me to pick up this afternoon. I'm assuming it's the 11' 2/3/4. :whoa:

Should be priced similar to Bob's other switchers, $600-$700us with scandi line.

I'll post some pictures today or tomorrow. I'll do a 2ht review but it'll take a little while. I'm busy with a few articles plus I'm headed to Calgary and Belize over the during the next 4 weeks.

I think it's going to be a sweet, sweet stick!

gammarus
04-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Oh Yeah!:Eyecrazy:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/sea2caye/2HT/IMG_1886.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/sea2caye/2HT/IMG_1885.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/sea2caye/2HT/IMG_1884.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/sea2caye/2HT/IMG_1882.jpg

The 150-350 grain, 10'6 2/3/4, 3 piece, Meiser switch rod. It arrived with a 222 grain 26.5ft scandi line(with integrated Mend Master running line). It should handle tips to 65 grains but anything other than a floater would just be wrong on this little rod. I hope to get it out on the water soon.

Rick Sharp
04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I just finished wrapping up a 10'6" 3/4 Meiser Switchrod and awaiting the SGS Scandit with interegrated mendmaster line, thus far I really like the feel of the rod, turned the grip to 11" foregrip and 3 3/4" rear with a cork reelseat as well. The anticipation is killing me as well to hit the water.

dutch_m
04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Oh Yeah!:Eyecrazy:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/sea2caye/2HT/IMG_1886.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/sea2caye/2HT/IMG_1885.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/sea2caye/2HT/IMG_1884.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/sea2caye/2HT/IMG_1882.jpg

The 150-350 grain, 10'6 2/3/4, 3 piece, Meiser switch rod. It arrived with a 222 grain 26.5ft scandi line(with integrated Mend Master running line). It should handle tips to 65 grains but anything other than a floater would just be wrong on this little rod. I hope to get it out on the water soon.

dave
bitch'in looking stick
can't wait to get my hands on your new toy , you going to let me break the cherry on her with first fish , :hihi:

weather man calling for nice sunny days , starting thursday , should be good when your here after the last week of shitty weather , i'll be at the airport waiting thursday night , bring warm clothes in case the weatherman is out to lunch ,

i have a bottle of Balvenie for us to sip on in the evenings

gammarus
04-19-2011, 12:45 AM
dave
bitch'in looking stick
can't wait to get my hands on your new toy , you going to let me break the cherry on her with first fish , :hihi:

weather man calling for nice sunny days , starting thursday , should be good when your here after the last week of shitty weather , i'll be at the airport waiting thursday night , bring warm clothes in case the weatherman is out to lunch ,

i have a bottle of Balvenie for us to sip on in the evenings

Had it out for about 10 minutes yesterday. I think(hope) those Bow browns are far too big for this rod. Feels like a 4 weight single hander. We were surprised how well it cast the scandi head. I'll need to spend some quality time with it before I can do a full report.