Hairwings 'r us [Archive] - Spey Pages

: Hairwings 'r us

gt05254
02-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Seems to be a lot of interest in hairwings the last few days...that and the weather made me wish for the summer season on the Miramichi! Since I like peering into others' fly boxes, here's a glimpse into my wet fly box. Can you tell I like bears?

NB Rob
02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Very nice boxes sir! Great looking flies.

mdl
02-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Very nice! I always love seeing other people's fly boxes.
Thanks

hitcher
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
That is one sweeeeet box! I will trade you my box for yours! Seriously, those are really, really well tied. Thanks for sharing.
Is it safe to say your first early morning pick would be the BBGB?

shotgunner
02-02-2011, 04:09 PM
...that and the weather made me wish for the summer season on the Miramichi! Can you tell I like bears?

Nice Box.. Looks like the Miramichi Cosseboom represented within the mix of 'Bears'.. :)

I missed out on last years hairwing swap. If you or someone else were to start another I'm in.

Rob, always enjoy a peek at your work [hint / hint]

A few random small wets from my hillbilly box of Bugs.. We fished a lot of low water last trip up. Some fav's.. Glitter Bear.. Greens Butts.. Green Widow.. Jon Olin's.. Strawberries & Cream.. Pompier..Shady Lady Wets [wingless] and my scattered collection of Bugs.

That little Bomber above the ten center was a gift from MJC back in 06.. it's served me well!

http://www.uppermidwestflyfishing.com/photos/data/518/medium/Bug_Box_007_Large_.jpg

robmdq
02-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Awesome! Those green buts are sweeet

gt05254
02-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Glitter Bear is definately my favorite fly. I was high rod for the season in 2008 at the camp I fish out of for only one reason....glitter bear. (the previous statement shall be deemed a blatant attempt at hero status, lol)

hitcher
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM
The glitter's have been great on the north shore rivers of the St.Lawrence. I tie one one with a first glimpse of sunlight on the pool. I especially like it hitched.

GR8LAKES FLYER
02-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Beautiful boxes Gary :smokin:

Mike

flytyer
02-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Nothing like getting a look inside boxes filled with such well-tied flies! I was suprised that I found myself continuing to drawn to the CUTTY SARKS. Something about that fly's colors just draws your eye to it. Glad to see there are others who take 6 or more of the same fly in the same size to the river with them.

Riverborn75
02-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Oh how I love hairwings! People seem to think they are simple. They very well can be, but you can make them as intricate as your heart desires. Take the real demon series, Howell's hairwings, and Mcneeses for example.

gt05254
02-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Flytyer - I do love the Cutty Sark; it was designed by one of my best friends and two weeks/year salmon fishing partner, Bob Warren. The main reason I take so many of flies like the Cutty is they work, and I end up giving them away on the river to guys that aren't swinging a fly that's working. The Cutty seems to work best in size 6 in normal water.

DitchDigger
02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Amazing display of hunters! Inspiring group!

Thanks for posting them!

Phil

Speyducer
02-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Sweet boxes & sweeter flies! ;)

Mike

daijones
02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Cracking looking boxes:) even better looking flies.

Dai.

flytyer
02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
gt,

I'm certain the fellows you give a fly too are very happy to get not only an effective fly, but a very well tied one to boot! I've liked the CUTTY since I first saw a photo of one. It is a beautiful fly. I'm not suprised it is very effective given the prominent teal in the wing.

brood dude
02-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Those are really sweet Lookinig for sure. Maybe you would want to get in on that monthly challenge and do a SBS??

WT Bash
02-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey GT,
Cold you post a close up of the Cutty? I ran a search on line and found one but it wasn't the greates pic. Thank you Sir....

Bill

robmdq
02-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Hey GT,
Cold you post a close up of the Cutty? I ran a search on line and found one but it wasn't the greates pic. Thank you Sir....

Bill

I was about to ask exactly the same. The only two cutty sark i knew before this was the old ship and the whiskey (the only whiskey i actually like to tell the truth hehehe). :D

gt05254
02-04-2011, 08:03 AM
named after its designer Bob Warren's beverage of choice:

caddisfly4
02-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Gary great looking fly thanks for posting the pic. For me it really helps to see finished products either in hand or close up pics. By the way I took your advice and picked up a copy of Fulsher and Kroms book, well worth it. Would you be willing to share the tying recipe for the Cutty?
Bill

robmdq
02-04-2011, 08:57 AM
named after its designer Bob Warren's beverage of choice:

Awesome looking fly!! Would like to have the recipe if is it possible :rolleyes:

WT Bash
02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm guessing the tail and under wing are floss? The pic I had seen before the under wing looked like krystal flash, but I'm liking the floss (if it is) way better. Thank you Sir!

NB Rob
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Is the teal wing tented over the floss (neerhair?)

Is that super-dense butt beaver underfur? I recall you had recommended that to me in another thread. I've looked for it at Doaks, but they didn't have it at the time. I have been experimenting with other dubbing for butts since that recommendation though. Very good results so far.

Riverborn75
02-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Nice job sir! Love dark flies with flashes of color.

gt05254
02-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Okie doke, here goes:
First, Bob uses a floss blend for the butt or as Keith Fulsher calls it, the tip, and also for the tail and part of the underwing. We both use Gordon Griffiths floss, in the ratio of 4 parts orange, 2 parts yellow, 1 part green. It becomes a peach color. Warren Duncan told Bob he was nuts to do this, and that all the commercial tyers would kill him for using a blend. So you can either do the blend, or find a peachy orange that you like and go on down the road. I have an old spool of Danville Depth Ray nylon floss that's close.

So:
Thread: gordon griffiths 14/0 Claret
Tag: fine copper wire - sized to suit fly size
Tip: either the floss blend or your peachy orange of choice.
Tail: same floss as tip
Butt: black beaver dubbing
Rib: fine copper wire - sized to suit fly size
Body: rear half flourescent green floss, front half peacock herl
Hackle(throat): black hen
underwing: floss blend or peachy orange floss to tag under green flourescent floss to tip of tail
wing: tented teal
head: claret

Its really a VERY effective fly. Very.

caddisfly4
02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks Gary.

gt05254
02-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Absolutely my pleasure!

robmdq
02-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks a lot, Gary! :D

shotgunner
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Seems to be a lot of interest in hairwings the last few days...that and the weather made me wish for the summer season on the Miramichi! Since I like peering into others' fly boxes, here's a glimpse into my wet fly box. Can you tell I like bears?

I was going to leave well enough alone but a recent quote brought it back to the front of my thoughts..

I don't make a habit of posting a picture to someone else's thread but since you made an invite.......... :)

Originally I thought this thread was going to promote a look into some fly boxes.. guess I read that wrong, otherwise wouldn't have posted the pic of my shirt pocket collection of fishing ties. Hope it wasn't percieved as rude.

Gary, thanks for posting the Cutty Sark pics and recipe. It's an interesting tie for sure.

What is the pattern in lower right hand corner? Thanks in advance for reply.

Brian

http://www.speypages.com/gallery/data//503/gt05254_wets1_.JPG

gt05254
02-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Shotgunner, that was my hope, to peek into more fly boxes that folks might post. I was happy to see yours! It got sidetracked, I guess.

Anyway, that's a Bondatti's Killer you've circled in my fly box. Keith Fulsher and likely Charlie Krom tied it up for Frank Bondatti at his (Bondatti's) camp on the Miramichi. Quoting Keith, " Frank was not a fly tyer but had asked for a fly with plenty of flourescent material built into it. this is the result".

Gary