Allen Alpha Fly Reel or other budget reels? [Archive] - Spey Pages

: Allen Alpha Fly Reel or other budget reels?

notellem creek
11-30-2010, 03:37 PM
I was looking around for a good budget reel for a 5wt Decho I am buying from red shed fly shop. I came across "alen fly fishing" and saw their reels. the alpha series looks like a not bad reel for the money?

I have a lot of ross reels but I think the CLA 4 is to small for the line I am going to have on (running line, Skagit compact 390-420 range) and the CLA 5 would just be a bit heavy for that rod I would think?

Feel free to throw out some other reel combos you guys like for this rod I am all ears.

Thanks,

Levi

Mspeer
11-30-2010, 04:06 PM
I have a couple of the older version of his Alpha reel. They are very smooth. I use them on my switch rods and a 13'6" 7wt Sage and have had no problem with them landing some GR steelies. I am looking to get one of the newer versions of the Alpha. Great guy to deal with also.

qcanfield
11-30-2010, 05:09 PM
If you are sticking with fresh water check out their 7/8 or 9/10 series reels. They are not as pretty to look at as the Alphas but they are nearly half as much and spools are really cheap. The drag system on these reels is quite amazing for the price. I have several much nicer (and much more expensive) reels so I keep my three as loaners and backups when steelhead or salmon fishing. My son's 9/10 has landed many Great Lakes kings without issue over the last couple of years.

Quinn

notellem creek
11-30-2010, 06:18 PM
anybody make a budet one of these drag style reels that would work? I have some older ross click drag reels for trout and love them. I saw the speyco reels and might have to get one of those they look really nice.
IDK if I want to spend that money though on a starter rod?