best bearing reel on a budget? [Archive] - Spey Pages

: best bearing reel on a budget?

Black Zonky
08-31-2010, 12:09 PM
are there any ball bearing reels out there that are famously a good deal compared to hardy? similar to jw young vs. marquis.... I know Dingley and Walker Bampton are usually slightly less than Perfects. What others?

Anadromous
08-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Thompson, Winston, I think Medalist has one...

What is the draw of the bearing race?

As I understand it, the bearings are not for "smooth" operation, but they relieve some of the tension on the spool or winding plate or something like that.

On clarks classic forum, ask enigma or bulldog or pcg, those guys have forgot more than I'll every know.

_WW_
09-01-2010, 09:48 AM
are there any ball bearing reels out there that are famously a good deal compared to hardy? similar to jw young vs. marquis.... I know Dingley and Walker Bampton are usually slightly less than Perfects. What others?

Young made plate wind reels also. Usually any of these reels from other makers will sell for less than a comparable Hardy. I haven't seen any 'famous' deals in a long time. Thompson reel prices have been climbing steadily and will continue to do so simply because there weren't too many made. The Winston Perfects, (by Hardy) became collectible from the first day and would not be considered 'user' reels by most collectors.

Several things are going to affect the price. Size, agate guide, condition, and random whims of the market. Young's reels, often stamped for various retailers as Young was wholesale only, were often mis-identified as Dingleys etc. Recent publications have revealed that J. W. Young & Sons made reels for dozens and dozens of different 'makers'. And more are being found all the time. I know that I was pleasantly surprised to discover that many of the reels that I purchased for their 'cool factor' were in fact Young reels from the 20s and 30s.

Getting a good plate wind reel is easy - getting one at a bargain is not so easy...

SkagitMiester
09-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Thompson, Winston, I think Medalist has one...

What is the draw of the bearing race?

As I understand it, the bearings are not for "smooth" operation, but they relieve some of the tension on the spool or winding plate or something like that.

On clarks classic forum, ask enigma or bulldog or pcg, those guys have forgot more than I'll every know.

What is the deal with the bearings? Does a Perfect feel different from the other quality click pawl reels? Do the bearings make a huge difference or can you even tell?

Anadromous
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Good thread that covers some of the topic here.

Not an authority on this by anymeans so bring a salt shaker...

"Perfect" Perfect?
http: //classicflyrodforum.com/topic/23200?page=1