Sage 108M Made in Redditch England [Archive] - Spey Pages

: Sage 108M Made in Redditch England

Rod
05-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Digging through a box of my old mans fishing gear that I confiscated a few years back. I've come accross one of these reels. Its in new condition. It is a click and pawl reel that is 3"9/16 (OD)wide, and the spool is deeper than most fly reels.
Think I could stuff a CND 5/6 GPS on it and pair it with my 11' 6w 2hander/switch rod?

Also, anyone know the history of these reels? Who made them? and.... is it just a piece of junk that I just shouldn't bother with?

7141-4
05-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I think those reels were made by JW young but I'm not sure. They are serviceable, and would work just fine for the application you mentioned.

Hammer
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
i've seen the JYoung's labeled as Sage,,and B-W Expert and even Daiwa has a version or two among others,the one `issue' is the reel foot on all of them the chrome foot is thick the brass painted foot is thin and fits later rods,,i use them (daiwas and young's because i love the sound(like an old BSA 650 kickstarted ratchet:hihi: ) and because i'm cheap,too lazy to pursue hardy's and would rather spend my money on rods instead of disc drags for our 4-6 pound steelies,keep the pawls greased and check for dirt (in the grease)often and go have some fun ZZZZZZZZZZ!:D

Rod
05-14-2007, 03:43 AM
Thanks guys. Will give it a go.

uliwon
05-17-2007, 08:52 PM
108M was private labeled for Sage by JW Young...sometimes some spools can be found under either name as well....make sure they fit, some cheaper versions had a nylon gear on the spool...very bad...

Hammer
05-17-2007, 09:53 PM
also had one or two,,?,i've bid on them;) ,,labeled as guides choice or somthing like that,they had a green finish,the daiwa version had a shoulder on the post the spool fits on,diawa spools interchange with others but others won't interchange with daiwas,,,gee!,i hope this covers it:roll: ,,yes they are `cheep' reels but when you need a pile of reels/spools right now go with it!:D

Rod
05-18-2007, 06:13 PM
thanks again.....another question....can these reels be switched from RH retrieve to LH retrieve?

7141-4
05-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm pretty sure you just flip the pawls; there are two pawls if I remember correctly, flip the one that's engaged to disengaged and engage the one that's disengaged. If nobody else chimes in with better instructions here, call or e-mail Sage they should be able to fax or e-mail the original instruction sheet, or at least discribe it to you. Or, you could ask the question at p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum under their "classic reels" section, somebody over there probably could fax or e-mail directions.

Of course that's the easy part, the hard part is winding the backing in the other direction.

Hope this helps,

-John

Rod
05-18-2007, 09:54 PM
John...worked like a charm. Thank you sir!

Uliwon...it has the brass gear.:cool:

spey machine
05-18-2007, 11:41 PM
....................do they sound like a Spitfire Mk 4,or a Rocket? Your comment brought back memories,I just had to ask!!

Hammer
05-19-2007, 10:30 AM
i was a triumph man,,or young man,owned one bike for 17 years,,but it did seem like the BSA's had a louder ratchet:chuckle: ,,sooner or later i'll have to chase some Hardy's down,,if i could distinguish the mark 4 from the mark 3 and the marquis from the dukes :tsk_tsk: ,till then it's `1535's and 1540's and 8-12's and 8-13's (Daiwa version),another plus is the pawls and springs interchange as well as most spools,plus many i've bought will have extra spools included,,,it's a great nearly painless way to get a pile of reels to go with your pile of rods,gee!,now that i think about it i DID have 3-4 extra motors for my Bonneville:lildevl: