Cleaning your fly line [Archive] - Spey Pages

: Cleaning your fly line

the moy green
08-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I was just wondering what is the best way to clean your fly line? I know there are many different ways to clean lines.which way do you think is best?

the moy green

MJC
08-11-2006, 02:13 PM
For Airflo flylines, Airflo's Turbo Shoot is very good. I like to call it "El Slicko".
STP's "Son of a Gun" protectant also works well on Airflo lines.

I like Rio's Agent X on lines other then Airflo

jjohnson
08-11-2006, 04:43 PM
The Tiemco line Cleaner though it is a little expensive it is worth it. I get one of those umpqua flet boxes and use that in it and it is great!!!! Kaufman's turned me and a bunch of Umpqua buddies on to it and we won't use anything else now.

JJ

Skilly
08-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Ivory hand soap to clean the line then use the line dressing of your choice.

Most dressings will not clean the line, just covers the dirt with dressing.

Wash in luke warm water then let dry. Do this with your cat out of the house or you may have tiny nicks in your line.

Skilly

speyman
08-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Ivory liquid on a clean paper towell. twice thru, then dressing.
I use SCIERRA LineSpeed.

MJC
08-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Most dressings will not clean the line, just covers the dirt with dressing.

If you ever try some Turbo Shoot on an Airflo line you will find that it cleans the line very well. Two passes through a paper towel spayed with Turbo Shoot will reveal an unbelievable amount of dirt and make that line shoot like crazy. I use it on every brand of line I sell which is most all of them. I don't call it "El Slicko" for nothing.:smokin:

Skilly
08-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Mike

I like the Turbo shoot as a line dressing It does a good job. But It doesnt clean like Ivory hand soap in warm water. then apply the Turbo Shoot.

I believe it was Simon from Rio a couple of years ago that said the Ivory hand soap was the only thing reccomended to clean Rio Lines. Didnt even say the Ivory liquid dish soap was ok. There was quites discussion on this list about it. He also said that after it was washed and dried that it could be coated with a 100% Silicon line dressing. Did not reccomend any other products for Rio Lines.

Skilly

Grampa Spey
08-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I like Rio's Agent X on lines other then Airflo

For years I used 303 Aerospace Protectant and thought that I was doing something of value with my lines. Looking back on how Wonderlines would sink after use of it, I was probably not helping the lines.

Last year I used 303 Aerospace Protectant on my 3 Rio Skagit lines, and on the following trips to the rivers, these lines sank instead of floating with any sinking tip or fly.

Simon suggested using Poo Goo to reapply the silicon. I did and it helped to recover some of the buoyancy.

Then, my local fly shop recommended Agent X for all Rio Lines. That seems to have worked to restore most of the buoyancy. To get the best results, you need to let the Agent X stay on the line for 24 hours before buffing it off the line.

I have been washing my lines with liquid hand soap after use. After reading about using the Ivory Hand Soap, I will buy some just for my fly lines.

halcyon
08-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Line cleaners like many tools are a personal choice. Mine is the line dressing made for National-Feather Craft http://www.feather-craft.com/2006MAster/fcpage.asp?page=21. It used to be called Lazer Line Speed until they sold the Lazer name to Cortland. I have been using it for over 20 years on all types and brands of fly lines and it makes them all much better lines.

However I really feel that Leon Chandler was spot on when he stated that it was important to clean every line after and before every use. A regular cleaning routine is more important than the material you use to do the cleaning and dressing.

My two cents.
Regards,

speycaster
08-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Bar soap, Ivory or any other, has worked best for me. When using liquids, make sure it's soap, not detergent. Detergents contain an agent that helps break the surface film, so any remaining on your line will help it break through the surface of the water - not exactly what you want on a floating line. I think washing first, then applying the "El Slicko" of your choice works better than just adding more El Slicko on the line.

Tyne Speycaster
08-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Hand soap and then snowbee line slick or any other silicone dressing. It pays to leave the line to dry in big coils before winding back on the spool IMO

Saginot
08-14-2006, 10:05 AM
There ARE many methods and products for line cleaning.
Some products clean, some polish and renew floatation and some accomplish both. I have used many over the past thirty eight years (yipes!)
and most work well and as stated, and is more often than not is personal preference as to how much time and money you have to invest. Time is typically a bigger issue because some products clearly state 'allow to dry 24 hours.'
This season I have been using the new RIO Agent X.
Cleans and polishes. Very good product. Quick, easy, afforadle and readily available.
Loon Linespeed is, from my experience a very good product.
I have found that using 'make-up rounds' is a very effective applicator for any cleaner/polish.
Available in the womens cosmetics department they are just abrasive enough, very affordable and disposable; work well.
Bottom line: whether you use a dish detergent and or a cleaner polish....anything works better than nothing and this is one aspect of effective line control and presentation that is frequently overlooked.

Hope this helps.