Inexpensive Large Capacity Reel [Archive] - Spey Pages

: Inexpensive Large Capacity Reel

Bob Pauli
02-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Suggestions for inexpensive reels capable of holding long belly spey lines will be appreciated. Changing lines every Friday night preparing for a day at the casting ponds is troublesome. The reels do not need to be fishable, almost anything will do.

Beau, I know, don't say it! :chuckle:

crobarr
02-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Pflueger Medalist Fly Reels:

1495 Up to 10 w/backing
1595 RC Up to 10 w/backing
1595 1/2 RC Up to 11 w/backing
1598 RCX Up to 12 w/backing

$24.99 - $42.99

couple yards of backing for a loop and they should work.

Hammer
02-13-2006, 11:40 PM
up for sale on eBay=15 bucks,but it won't balance a 14ft st croix!,and a mid-spey is `crammed on it'with barely any backing to speak of:mad: :( i'd guess the pfleuger1598=?,,might `do it'?(even though i've never owned one),i'd say the current shakespeare offerrings (even though i don't own one),dang!,,there's an echo in here!!!!;) or the J Young's and son's classic's that shakespeare bought out,the 1535's 1540's,i have a reel with 4 xtra spools that iMIGHT be selling,but,that's the glory of `cheapdog' reels,,,they're cheap!:rolleyes: ,and they allow you to `stock' various lines spooled up for ,yes,,you guessed it=various rods:roll: that you invariably NEVER ACTUALLY fish! RIGHT!?:chuckle: ,and if the reel explodes from=the mighty steelhead!,,dump it on eBay or chuck it in the dumpster at the local park:lildevl: of course i must assume a BC style trolling real COULD be used in a pinch=:confused: (they are `large arbor'):hihi:

Portlandspey
02-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Check out this website in the U.K. :

reelsndeals.com/acatalog/s4haky.htm

They are selling this Shakespeare summit salmon fly model reel with a spare spool and a fly line for what works out to be something like $70.oo.
The 4.25" summit will hold a huge amount of line, is very cheaply made, has a drag system that is totally useless, has cast markings all over the spool and body....

oh...did i mention that it will hold a lot of line.

Hammer
02-14-2006, 01:34 AM
i love `tarts',,,,hahahaha,sounds like my kinda gal uhmmm er,:tsk_tsk: ,reel,,of course i just `found out' tonight!:( i'm going to be making my youngest childs car payment for her for the next few months:mad: =gee thanks honey!:roll: soooo,,reels for sale!:Eyecrazy:

Bob Pauli
02-14-2006, 04:26 AM
Dennis,
Will the reel hold Rio's largest GrandSpey?
Bob

2HandTheSalt
02-14-2006, 08:54 AM
I don't know if this is much help, but I have been faced with the same problem recently, needing a lot of reels/spools just for casting spey lines. It is a real pain swapping long lines out!

I found the Okuma Sierra 10/11 which retails for under a hundred. Spools are quick change and under fifty bucks. The drag is the offset small disc drag made popular by the old style Orvis Battenkill. I haven't fished them yet, but I think they would actually work.

The fattest line I have mounted so far is the Rio Midspey 9/10 tips with a full 150 yards of 20lb. Dacron backing. You might fit a long spey on there with thinner backing.

speyforsteel
02-14-2006, 12:33 PM
I second the Okuma sierra,It's also nice as it has some heft to it.

Bob Pauli
02-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Many thanks to all for the fine suggestions.
Bob