River Right, River Left [Archive] - Spey Pages

: River Right, River Left

Rick Whorwood
05-20-2003, 11:34 PM
Dana was in southern Ontario over this last weekend, he put together an excellent program. One of the topic's we touched on was how many different cast's there are, and how they are used in different situations. I thought it might be interesting to see how many we can come up with

How many different casts can be made safely ?

Standing on river right, wind down-stream:

Standing on river right, wind up-stream:

Standing on river left, wind down-stream:

Standing on river left, wind up-stream:

What of these casts would you use with a sunk line weighted fly,
for the above.

Thanks Rick

flytyer
05-21-2003, 02:37 AM
Rick,

These are my first choices with either sunk line or floating line.

River-right, downstream wind: hands down a double spey is my cast of choice. A snake roll is also useful at times.

River-right, upstream wind: I prefer to use a left-hand single spey or reverse single spey (across the body backhanded with right hand on top). A left-hand Snap-T is also useful at times.

River-left, downstream wind: I prefer to use a left-hand double spey. The Snap-T might be used but you have to be careful to keep the line out in front of you to avoid hooking yourself.

River-left, upstream wind: hands down a single spey.

juro
05-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Standing on river right, wind down-stream:

fav - Snake Roll
second choice - double spey
tight quarters - snake poke
not rated ;) - left handed reverse snake roll, double spey

Standing on river right, wind up-stream:

fav - left hand snap-T
second choice - left hand single spey, reverse snap-T
tight quarters - left hand or reverse perry poke

Standing on river left, wind down-stream:

fav - left hand snake roll
second choice - left hand double spey, right hand reversed "
tight quarters: lefty snake poke

Standing on river left, wind up-stream:

Fav - single spey (new and improved at Sandy! :) :) )
second - gentle snap-T / circle
tight - perry poke

What of these casts would you use with a sunk line weighted fly,
for the above.

Can't answer, I only fish greased line or sinktip unweighted fly.

Rick Whorwood
05-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Thanks Juro & Flytyer

Here my take on it

Single spey =s/s
Perry poke = p/p
Snake roll = s/r
Double spey = d/s
Snapt "T" = s/t
Circle "C" = c/c

Down-stream wind, river right , left hand up:
s/s, p/p, c/c, s/t

Up-stream wind, river right, right hand up:
d/s, s/t, s/r

Down-stream wind, river left, right hand up:
s/s, c/c, s/t, p/p

Up-stream wind, river left, left hand up
s/s, c/c, s/t, p/p

Hugh Falkus: Cast ;
The Contrived Loop, useable cast, and would you teach it as part of your teaching program?

Rick Whorwood
05-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Hi All
Boy did I ever scew the above up!!
This is what happens when you try writing stuff out on the night shift (5am)
let me have another kick at the cat.

Up-stream wind, river right, left hand up.
s/s, p/p, c/c, s/t
Down-stream wind, river right, right hand up.
d/s, s/t, s/r
Up-stream wind, river left, right hand up.
s/s, c/c, s/t, p/p
Down-stream wind, river left, left hand up.
d/s, s/r, s/t

I think that's right.
Sorry, Rick

flytyer
05-28-2003, 03:11 AM
Rick,

To answer your question on Falkus's "contrived loop". Yes, I use it at times in those places that Falkus mentions in his book on spey casting. Is is a very useful cast to have for those times when you are faced with an obstruction in the area you would form your "D" loop. This cast also has the added advantage of keeping virtually all of the cast in front of you while still allowing you to cast 60 to 70 feet.

There is a certain few places on a certain river out on the Olympic Peninsula that I use this contrived loop cast because no other cast would let me make an effective fishing cast in these places.

Would I teach it to someone else? Not unitl they have learned how to single and double spey with either hand on top.

Bob Pauli
05-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Rick, as instructors are wont to do, yours gave too much information.

FOR THE FISHERMAN: All one needs to remember for bank conventions is NOTHING. [SIZE=4] REPEAT NOTHING!

•From EITHER SIDE of the river:
- upstream wind; place upstream hand on upper grip and do your favorite cast from this position
- downstream wind: place downstream hand on upper grip and perform your favorit cast from this positon.

If no wind, take your pick and rock 'em![U][I]

No memory problem, no mysterious cloaked initiation rite in menacing highland castles, nothing but big bellies, small anchors and the cast directing to a point 180 degrees from the backcast.

Forget the memorizing uncecessary information. Just stand in the water, decide wind direction, put the windward hand on the top grip and spey away.

Bob Pauli
05-29-2003, 02:10 AM
Rick, as instructors are wont to do for confusion purposes, yours gave too much information.

FOR THE FISHERMAN: All one needs to remember for bank conventions is NOTHING. REPEAT NOTHING!

•From EITHER SIDE of the river:
- upstream wind; place upstream hand on upper grip and do your favorite cast from this position
- downstream wind: place downstream hand on upper grip and perform your favorit cast from this positon.

If no wind, take your pick and rock 'em!

Rick Whorwood
05-29-2003, 09:28 PM
Hi Bob
I was more interested in how many different casts could be done from each bank, with up & down stream wind. I agree that's far to much information than you would want to teach a beginner.
Although!, The weekend Dana was here (Southern Ont.) he covered basically three casts, Switch, Double, and the Circle "C" The Switch and Double on the Saturday, and the "C" on the Sunday. He spent quite a bit of time on Staurday on the grass going over how to hold the rod, stance, casting stroke etc. This really helped once we got in the water, the students did excellent. By late Sunday it was quite interesting every time Dana, Spey Laddie or I did a different cast to get the line into position for a double or C, they wanted to learn it. I think at one point, they were all casting Snap T's and Snake Rolls, Singles. I know the K.I.S.S. method is by far the best, but every once and a while you work with a group that is over the top. I guess that's what makes teaching so much fun.
Oh by the way, for fishing a double or circle "C" if it gets really windy, grab the catsing/spinning rod.

Rick

www.easternclave.ca

Bob Pauli
05-30-2003, 06:59 PM
I understand; it is a good thread. In reviewing, my comment seems pretty vigorous. I wonder if it was malt inspired?