Spey Pages - View Single Post - Figuring out Grain Windows
View Single Post
post #41 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:46 PM
troutless
All Tangled Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Rob View Post
letting go of the magic bullet ideal is even a better bet. Good casters can cast almost anything. And when it doesn't go out perfectly, they don't make a face at the reel and blame the line, they adjust their stroke.

Spey claves are a great place to try rod/line combos.
I'm not a fan of 'magic bullet' thinking either, thus the use of the word 'guesstimate' in the above. Example of what I mean by that: When I travel I usually carry 2-3 rods, partly to be able to rig different systems, partly as insurance. So over the years I've accumulated quite a few different lines in different systems, short heads, mid-and long-belly, various lines cut for tips, some intermediate or multi-density lines, etc. When I set up a system, whether because I have a new rod or it's been so long since I used the rod I've forgotten what I last cast on it, what I don't do is pull out all the lines I have and cast them all to 'see what I like best'. I start with a reference line system I am familiar with -- for a mid-length rod, that might be something like a NextCast 55 -- pull out two weights I think are likely to work based on the rod weighting, go and try them out. Usually I have a slight preference for one or the other, I go with that one. Based on the specs of that line and the rod length I have a pretty good idea what weight scandi/skagit/short-belly/mid-belly etc., given the 30-40gr windows most line makers adopt, is going to be a reasonable match. That is a purely experiential way of getting a 'guesstimate', it usually gives results good enough I can quickly match up whatever combos I need for a given trip without fiddling around very much. And I'm certainly not obsessing over 20gr one way or another or other fine details. sushiyummy apparently has a more numerical system that works for him. Certainly when moving outside well-trodden combos, e.g. single-hand rated lines on double-handed rods or vice-versa, some sort of numerical thinking is useful to get into the ballpark of what is most likely to work. Beyond that I agree it is about adaptation.

At the same time, please don't tell me that a good caster, who finds a given line+rod combo well-balanced, in the midpoint of the rod's window, at a given spec, will be equally satisfied with the same model line carrying 20%+ more grains. Changes this large or larger are enough to affect the rod performance in a way that is more than subjective. I don't believe in magic bullets, but I do believe line design affects achievable performance. I don't believe in weight tweaks that are in the range of manufacturing tolerance, but I don't believe 'a good caster can cast anything' either. Almost all designed systems have both ranges of optimal performance and points of diminishing returns to optimization.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome