Spey Pages banner

Sage One or Method

9K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Neil W 
#1 ·
Guys/Gals,

Just looking for some advice out there, i;m currently getting my dad outfit (he finally decided to switch over to the spey after 20 years of using his single hand rod on the Deschutes). I'm looking at either the Sage One or Method in the 7wt and wondering which one would be the best for a guy who's 60, new to spey casting and would be fishing the Deschutes mainly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#5 ·
The One is definitely more forgiving. I have the 7126 and it is very nice.
I have a Method 8126 and haven't had much time with it but it wouldn't be friendly to beginners or even intermediate spey dudes, it's seriously stiff! The colour in real life is growing on me,
Kevin

#8 · (Edited)
Method 7126 all the way. My wife has never casted a spey rod before and within 10 minutes she was shooting line with it. I think the Method is something you can grow into and never grow out of. Heck of a rod. But devils advocate... Why not a Winston BIII TH 7129? Has tons of power for lifting T14 all day and won't wear you out in the process. Plus you'll have $100 extra in your pocket. I re-read your post and if the Deschutes is where he'll be fishing most. I'd go with a Winston 6126, since it's mostly summer runs anyway. But the 7129 would be a great all round rod for our coastal winter runs and Deschutes winds. If you want to try the winston PM me and we can make something happen.

#9 ·
For a guy who is new to spey casting, I think the Sage ONE 7136-4 is an excellent choice. I actually own this and quite a few other different rods and think that most of the different Sage 7136's that have been produced over the years are excellent rods. The ONE 7136-4 is a pleasure to use as IMO the 13'6" spey rods are somewhat more forgiving re:timing than the 12'6" rods I have owned. For a person who is just switching over to spey casting from single hand casting, I think this is important. I haven't had the opportunity to try a Method double hander, so can't comment on those other than that curiously, a 13'6" rod is missing from the Method lineup.
Must admit that I've cast other rods in the 13 foot range that I really liked too. If it is at all possible, I would try to arrange to have your Dad try before you buy. Rods are such a personal thing.
Good luck in your search!

#11 · (Edited)
I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed with a Burkheimer 7134-4...

Believe the Classic Burkheimer 7134-4 is cheaper than the Sage models you are considering as well...

Just a thought.

The 7126 Sage One is the only One series rod I have cast, but it was lined too heavy for my taste at the event I casted it at and made it feel very very soft so cannot give an accurate description as to what I really thought of it other than it did have a good fit and finish. If you are a beginner, it would likely be a better option than a rod stated to be ultra fast, however in some cases the faster rods suit an anglers casting stroke better regardless of skill level so tough to say. I would find a shop that can let you cast one instead of basing your decision on what others prefer, rod choice is one of personal preference. One guy will love a rod with line X, another only likes it with line Y and the third guy doesn't like the rod regardless of line, just the way it goes...

I think I am going to go and try to find some open water, spending way too much time online as of late and no time on the water, cabin fever is in full effect!

#15 ·
"I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed with a Burkheimer 7134-4...

Believe the Classic Burkheimer 7134-4 is cheaper than the Sage models you are considering as well...

Just a thought."

I have cast many Burkheimer rods over the last 5 years,,,, Sage Z-Axis and ONE are far superior in light weight and smooth casting ability.

Regards,
FK

#16 ·
When I converted to two hand the Sage One 7wt 7126 was my second rod. It is still my most used rod. I would say great transition for a single hand guy to the longer rods. He's and experienced fly fisherman he'll figure out the action. If your home river is on the smaller side. Try pairing this rod with the Rio scandi Short versatip. Excellent combo for a new two hand guy in my humble opinion. So easy to cast and versatile. Have fun !

#17 ·
I own a Sage One 7126-6, yes a six piece rod which for me is perfect, and I am not a really good two-handed caster. Matched with a RIO Scandi Short belly and a 15-foot type of your choice, I find it to be the best two-handed rod I ever owned -- and I have owned many.

Interestingly, I used a Sage Method 6126-4 rod before I bought the One, and liked that rod very much as well, but not as much as the One. It is now my backup rod.

#18 ·
I own a Sage One 7126-6, yes a six piece rod, which for me is the nest double hander I have ever owned -- and I have owned quite a few. Matched with a RIO Short Scandi belly and RIO 15-foot tip of choice, I find it the best two-hander I have ever owned.

My go to rod before the One was a Sage Method 6126-4 which, until I bought the One, was my favorite. It is now my backup rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.