The Women of SOR - Spey Pages
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alaska, Oregon, Baja
Posts: 5
The Women of SOR

Hi everyone, the women participating in SOR this year have kindly answered a few questions and I have written up an interview on my blog, Rogue Angels. Donna O'Sullivan, Whitney Gould, Mia Sheppard, Anita Strand, and Marcy Stone all weigh in on how they came to be a part of SOR, their practice schedules, and how SOR has helped them succeed. Their answers are quite intriguing and I hope you like them as much as I enjoyed creating this post. Here is the direct link to the post: HERE
Rogue Angel k8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grande Ronde,John Day, Deschutes
Posts: 161
Great interview,thanks for the link.
schroderfish is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Sapere Aude!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North East
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Angel k8 View Post
Hi everyone, the women participating in SOR this year have kindly answered a few questions and I have written up an interview on my blog, Rogue Angels. Donna O'Sullivan, Whitney Gould, Mia Sheppard, Anita Strand, and Marcy Stone all weigh in on how they came to be a part of SOR, their practice schedules, and how SOR has helped them succeed. Their answers are quite intriguing and I hope you like them as much as I enjoyed creating this post. Here is the direct link to the post: HERE
Happy to see you here. I've been surfing the blog for awhile, great pics and information! You all have a ton of fun! Nice camera work too
J.James is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alaska, Oregon, Baja
Posts: 5
Shroderfish and J.James, Thank you for commenting and checking this out, these women are simply amazing and I'm very proud of them for such fantastic representation of women in fishing.
J.James, thanks for the kind words about my blog-I really appreciate it!
-k8
Rogue Angel k8 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clearwater River, Idaho
Posts: 51
Incredible !!!!

Fantastic interview. Thank you for the time and effort you put into it. It was great reading it. Why don't you post a link under the SOR thread.
Molly Spey is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Around
Posts: 45
The Women of SOR

Kate thanks you for all of your hard work. This is an excellent article and I'm proud to have been a part of it along side with such a talented and dedicated group of gals.

Burkheimer Fly Rods
FFF CI & THCI Certified
whitneygouldspey.com
Whit is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator
 
GR8LAKES FLYER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: All Rivers flowing into Georgian Bay
Posts: 6,667
Send a message via Yahoo to GR8LAKES FLYER Send a message via Skype™ to GR8LAKES FLYER
Cool interview !!
Very well written .... what a nice read !!

Great Blog with nice photos too , thanks for sharing








Mike

Have you Swung a Spey Fly today ??
GR8LAKES FLYER is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 1,413
Good read, but I was really inspired by this one.

I would like to see a write up about the rods and lines and leaders etc the women are using in the competition. I've seen one for the men. The deep water looks like it would make it super difficult for shorter casters.

When I first started casting a spey, I wore myself out constantly with whatever rod I was casting, because I was not in a state of graceful symbiosis with the rod...Erik Helm

With swinging, you are seeking to draw the fish off it's lie to take your fly. Typically, a smaller percentage of fish sitting in a run are willing to move off station to take our flies so, when we are swinging, we are leaving money on the table as we search for the players in a run...Todd Hirono (808steelheader)
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Rogue River
Posts: 10,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkagitMiester View Post

I would like to see a write up about the rods and lines and leaders etc the women are using in the competition. I've seen one for the men. The deep water looks like it would make it super difficult for shorter casters.
At the end of the individual Bio's (main page) the rod/line the Ladies use are listed. I'll assume that's still current.
fae

Fred Evans - White City, Oregon
fredaevans is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 1,413
Thanks Fred, I was hoping for something more detailed such as this only from this year. I'm interested in head weight and length and leader length etc.

When I first started casting a spey, I wore myself out constantly with whatever rod I was casting, because I was not in a state of graceful symbiosis with the rod...Erik Helm

With swinging, you are seeking to draw the fish off it's lie to take your fly. Typically, a smaller percentage of fish sitting in a run are willing to move off station to take our flies so, when we are swinging, we are leaving money on the table as we search for the players in a run...Todd Hirono (808steelheader)
SkagitMiester is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered User
 
xgolfman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,356
k8 was cooler when she lived in B'ham
xgolfman is online now  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alaska, Oregon, Baja
Posts: 5
SkagitMeister, I really like your criticism and when I do a follow up interview with the ladies after SOR, I will be sure to discuss with them what they use and the specifications. I think you have a great point. Their current set ups listed in each bio will be those they use at SOR 2012, but we could definitely delve further into this. In many ways I felt like I was only able to breeze the surface, these women are so interesting that I couldn't even shorten their answers or pick and choose. With the foundation layed, I hope to further explore and share what drives them all! Thank you all for your comments and support, I really appreciate this. And golfman, you were also cooler when I lived in bham. Miss you buddy!
Rogue Angel k8 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Around
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkagitMiester View Post
Good read, but I was really inspired by this one.

I would like to see a write up about the rods and lines and leaders etc the women are using in the competition. I've seen one for the men. The deep water looks like it would make it super difficult for shorter casters.
I've sent you a PM.

Burkheimer Fly Rods
FFF CI & THCI Certified
whitneygouldspey.com
Whit is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:43 AM
MJC
Junkyard Spey
 
MJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Clearwater River, Peck, ID
Posts: 7,145
Nicely written Kate!

Poppy=Red Shed Spey Rod Pimp
www.redshedflyshop.com
FRSCA-Founding Member


How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
MJC is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Angel k8 View Post
SkagitMeister, I really like your criticism and when I do a follow up interview with the ladies after SOR, I will be sure to discuss with them what they use and the specifications. I think you have a great point. Their current set ups listed in each bio will be those they use at SOR 2012, but we could definitely delve further into this. In many ways I felt like I was only able to breeze the surface, these women are so interesting that I couldn't even shorten their answers or pick and choose. With the foundation layed, I hope to further explore and share what drives them all! Thank you all for your comments and support, I really appreciate this. And golfman, you were also cooler when I lived in bham. Miss you buddy!
Your articles are great and I think you stayed on point- too much technical line geek stuff would have taken away from the piece. My post was truly not meant to be a criticism at all but more of a request for another article about Speyorama and different lines etc used by the contestants. I like hearing about how the distance casters are chopping their lines to get them dialed etc.

I enjoyed hearing about their practice routines and learning about their coaches etc, and their overcoming any issues with competing- especially for the first time. Good Read. Thanks!

When I first started casting a spey, I wore myself out constantly with whatever rod I was casting, because I was not in a state of graceful symbiosis with the rod...Erik Helm

With swinging, you are seeking to draw the fish off it's lie to take your fly. Typically, a smaller percentage of fish sitting in a run are willing to move off station to take our flies so, when we are swinging, we are leaving money on the table as we search for the players in a run...Todd Hirono (808steelheader)
SkagitMiester is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOR: Great Event. Technique question: locvetter Claves and Other Gatherings 6 01-24-2012 12:01 AM
Sor dvd ?? BigDaddyK General 2 07-22-2010 08:24 PM
For the Women... Webflyz tyer Hooks, Feathers and Floss 1 05-01-2010 11:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome