Spey Pages banner

Intruder Storage

10K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  jimlucey 
#1 ·
What you guys running for intruder boxes?

I am running Cliff bugger beasts as my mass storage and C&F as my in Jacket.

What you guys running?

#2 ·
same , cliffs big box , plus i have his smaller model that is made for intruders with the cord across the ends to hold the heads , i just havn't seen anything better for that style of flies yet ,

i just wish i could find a big tube box that i would like ,

#4 ·
intruder

when you are carrying a Cliff Outdoors intruder box, where do you carry it? i believe it is 6 X 10 ? and won't fit in a poclet?

i have been looking at soft folders like snowbees or a worm binder that will fit into my jacket poket, but have not pulled the trigger yet on a "box" for intruders.

if you have tube flies, iridius makes a gasket-sealed box similar to C&F's that will hold quite a few tubes. I believe the model is the tribute? quite reasonably priced item.

#7 ·
i have had problems with these style of boxes when storing wet/fished flies
while sitting, the dies and colors will run... especially from the ostrich... coloring my natural lady amhurst and/or hackle tips
this has happened with boxes with removable and permeant dividers

#10 ·
intruder box

I use a large nubby tack box. Cut off some round head straight pins and push them through the eyes after securing the stinger hooks in the nubby tack. This is how I store my supply of intruders. For actual carrying while fishing, I'm not so fussy. No need to carry the whole damn store around. One or two spares will fit in a smaller box.

#12 ·
Only problem I have with the cliff boxes is when using mono (slickshooter) for your trailing hook. If you leave them in the same position for too long, the slickshooter will bend that way. Not a problem if you remember to move them on occasion.

Might start putting a tack through the eyes of the hooks into the foam to hold them in Place

#13 ·
Cliff's swinger,

works great for my needs. It stores tubes and strings very well. Their not water tight, but because I have genetic drive to go in too deep, too often, I went to dry bags a long time ago, so waterproof isn't a problem. As far as fly boxes go their not expensive.

sixheads

#17 ·
Thanks Nv Switch! I like them as well. Here are the fine points that make them a good tool.

ROUND GREEN GOBY

BLACK AND TAN CREEK CHUB

I love fishing String and Tube Flies

But storing Them was always a hassle flies always get twisted together. I have tried zip bags, little boxes and things always the same result a mess.

I lost More in The stream than I liked, and finding the one I wanted sucked.

Not any More with these boxes keeps everything In its place.

SPEYCO STRING LEECH BOX U.S.A. MADE

#18 ·
I asked one fellow recently and he said, 'Yeah, don't fish them.' Ha! Great solution.. but well I think they work sometimes so...

Anyone find any good boxes for carrying intruders more recently?

#22 ·
I had the same problem several years ago.
I put the mess of fur feathers and spider wire in a box and never fished them again.
Now all my flies are on single irons tied the way I like, to fish the way I like and wouldn't you know it, I'm still catching chrome.

Flambeau make a Hoochie box that may do the trick, but its a bit big to fit the breast pocket of your waders.

#24 ·
I've been using the LL bean waxed canvas wallet for my intruders and it has been working pretty well. I just secure the hooks in the fleece and the folds of the wallet seem to hold the bodies in place. I also don't have a problem drying out flies. It's definitely not a perfect system but it works for me.

#32 ·
shanks

inspired by the cliffs intruder box , i modified mine with some stainless wire and a pair of needle nose pliers . i just bent :smokin:about 3/4"of the wire into an S shape and slipped them into the foam slot with a little of the hooked part sticking up . works perfect !
shazam , shazam , shazam !
thanks , jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.