Spey Pages - View Single Post - An older article I wrote dealing with the heavy rod, tired muscles, etc.
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:13 PM
aviomech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIK HELM View Post
Glad some people enjoyed it. The point of the article, was not to point out the benefits of longer rods, heavier rods, etc, but simply to provoke thought, such as "Gee, I remember using that 14' rod with a windcutter and struggling from time to time... I wonder if I take it out of the closet after all these years and after my casting skills have improved, and I no longer fight the rod, what would happen?" We should always question things. Therein lies the path to wisdom, or the path to somewhere!
Erik,
I agree. Proper setup, and learning to cast will go a long way with any rod. I remember watching a video with Goran Andersson, where he said the reason he came up with underhand casting, was his father wouldn't buy any extra lines for him, so he had to make the line work with rod he had.
I gave up on longer bellies myself, until one day, I was "damn it, I'm going to learn to cast this". Well after 3 or 4 hours on the river, watching different casting videos on my phone, I managed to get some decent casts out. After a couple outings, I was really getting the hang of it. And I really appreciate not having a pile of stripped line next to me. Today, I reserve Skagits for casting really heavy sinktips and flies. If I can get away with a polyleader, I will fish my 40-50' lines on the Meiser 13' 6/7/8. Especially on freezing mornings, shooting line through iced guides doesn't work so well.

Last edited by aviomech; 01-15-2015 at 03:44 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome